The Physics of the Beam Balance
To study the physics of balance
For a body to be in equilibrium, the net force and net torque should be zero. The setup consists of a scale hinged at its middle point. The scale has holes at regular interval to hang weights at different distances from the hinge point.
slotted weights, thread, setup with scale
- Check that scale is almost balanced. If not, fix a suitable weight to balance it.
- Attach a fixed weight at one end of the scale.
- Attach another weight on other side of hinge point so that scale is balanced.
- Repeat above step for different weights.
- Verify that net force on the scale and net torque about the hinge point is zero in balanced condition.
According to lever principle, a smaller force applied at a greater distance from the axis of rotation can lift a larger weight.