Play with solenoid pulling/pushing ferromagnetic materials - I
A uniform magnetic field exerts force on a magnetic dipole. If a ferromagnetic material is placed in a magnetic field, the material gets magnetized in the direction of the field. Such a material will have tendency to go from the weaker field side to stronger field side. We have designed some experiments to show this in interesting way.
A solenoid, AC power supply, A bundle of spoke pieces tightly wrapped by a rubber band, few loose spokes, an iron chain, a heater coil.
- Put the solenoid vertically on the table. Connect the ends of the coil to the AC power supply, but keep the switch off.
- Place the bundle of spokes inside the solenoid. This will rest on the table.
- Switch on the power supply. How did the spokes behave?
- Keep the solenoid in horizontal position. Place a spoke partially inside the solenoid. Switch on the supply. How did the spoke behave?
- In place of spoke, put the chain partially inside the solenoid. How did the chain behave?
- Now put a heater coil partially inside the solenoid. Switch on the supply. How did the heater coil behave?
- For coil, do it with coil placed straight and coil placed straight and coil placed in curved shape.
Figure to be made